multiplie urxvt windows, regression, v 5.2 -> git

Thorsten Wißmann edu at thorsten-wissmann.de
Sun Dec 15 22:07:38 CET 2013

Hi Janez,

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 09:47:44PM +0100, Janez Rom wrote:
> After launching 7 urxvt windows for example I get important gaps between
> these windows. This gaps change the size if there is more or less open
> windows. Using  herbstluftwm v5.2 there is not such kind of problem. I
> remember that there was similar issue with dwm (was resolved with patch) and
> awesome wm (configuration script).

HLWM now respects size hints in the tiling mode, i.e. terminals can tell
their "block size". This causes those ugly gaps. It will be configurable
soon.

Here, gnome-terminal is totally unusable if sizehints are not respected.
That's why I activated them globally, but I don't have a perfect
solution for it, yet.

One solution is to move the next window to the top to close the gap.
Then the gap only is after the last window. That's what dwm and awesome
are doing. Another solution would be to "hide" the gap with window
decorations.

> I tried different urxvt versions (ArchLinux with character and line space
> patches) without succes. Second try was configuration of urxvt .Xdefaults
> with commands : URxvt.internalBorder / URxvt.letterSpace / URxvt.lineSpace
> with no succes.

I think the patch only affects that if urxvt does not get the desired
size the additional window space is painted properly.

> Xterm works well so it should be Urxvt related. But worked well with v5.2.
> Do you think that there should be some v5.2 -> actual git version regresion.

That's strange. It should happen with any kind of terminal. Maybe it
just was luck.

If I got you wrong, please send some screenshots describing your issue
or reference the dwm/awesome-problem.

Cheers,
Thorsten