Migration to C++ (?)

Zsolt Udvari udvzsolt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 10:03:13 CEST 2014

> So, you would also say, that using the C++STL is a bad idea, since it is
> a huge library. The same is true for the libc or for glib. So where do
> you see the difference.
No, this isn't same. Why? The libc, glib, etc. is used many-many
program so it's installed on many systems. If you want install hlwm,
you've installed some GUI programs (if not, why do you need window
manager? :) ). It's almost impossible to skip glib, so you've
installed glib. But boost libs needed by only some programs, not
almost all. On my system boost is needed by only Libreoffice. If I
haven't Libreoffice, I don't need boost.

> OK, again. When compiling with boost, the package does not necessarily
> need boost installed:
So boost is only buildtime-dependency everytime?

> I've not said that boost has any benefits for hlwm. I just wanted to
> say, that boost is no bloat and that the "size" of boost does not
> matter.
But if you doesn't have any boost-specific program you don't need
boost. Boost isn't widely used lib as gtk, glib or similar. So this is
the reason why I think *hlwm* shouldn't use boost.

Zsolt