WM_NAME vs. _NET_WM_NAME

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Oct 27 18:59:47 CET 2014

* Rhialto <rhialto at falu.nl> [2014-10-27 18:07:45 +0100]:
> On Mon 27 Oct 2014 at 08:59:17 +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Qt 5's XCB backend doesn't support many "deprecated" features where there is a
> > EWMH replacement. For example it also doesn't support setting a window icon
> > through the WM_HINTS (ICCCM section 4.1.2.4) property. Given that I
> > interpreted this as a design decision to not support the "deprecated" hints in
> > the new implementation.
>
> Does it check first if the relevant EWMH feature is supposed to be
> supported by the window manager? If not, that is a bug (in Qt), in my
> opinion.

Looking at the code[1] it does not.

I opened a bug[2] against Qt and it's priority was set to "Important",
which sounds to me like they agree ;)

(The reporter of the original qutebrowser bug also opened a bug
against KeePassX[3])

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts!

Florian

[1] http://paste.the-compiler.org/view/f3e02a7a
[2] https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-42209
[3] https://www.keepassx.org/dev/issues/236