Serious bug

Johannes Jordan jordan at lanrules.de
Wed Jul 8 16:45:37 CEST 2015

On 07/08/2015 04:32 PM, Donald Allen wrote:
> Another possibility is that hlwm is doing something that is incorrect.

Yes certainly. That's why we need to keep this in mind as I wrote.
Probably Thorsten can better comment on that possibility. As I see it,
there is not much you can do wrong with sending out window sizes to
X. But I don't know enough details on this.

> I was nodding in agreement with your message until I got to the two
> paragraphs just above. You are suggesting that I say to the GTK folks
> that I have a GTK application that works correctly with every window
> manager except hlwm, which uses an admitted hack, pseudo-tiling, for
> dialogs, which disturbs the underlying tiling layout, instead of
> floating windows, which don't, so I'm filing a bug report with GTK?
> I'm afraid that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I very well understand that perspective. However, from hlwm's
perspective, it looks the opposite. It is resizing windows all the time
for a wide enough user base. I mean, that's the most basic thing a
window manager does, right? And it is only a few applications (three
that we know of right now) that have problems.

So you see it goes either way.
However I have a follow-up question for you: Does the problem also occur
without pseudotiling (i.e., keeping the window managed, but not putting
it in pseudotile)? Because my expectation is that it does and the
admitted hack has nothing to do with this.

Anecdotal:
I have a problem with KWindowSystem not recognizing window lists
provided by hlwm (i.e. the lxqt taskbar shows nothing). Easy to blame on
hlwm, "every" other WM works. But then if you look at the root window's
properties, you see that the information is there, EHWM compliant. In
both cases, it is the clients that do the complicated work and therefore
they are easier to fail.

Johannes