BUG: An empty regex is not allowed in the POSIX grammar.

Lucas lucas at sexy.is
Mon Apr 20 18:52:01 CEST 2020

Thorsten Wißmann <edu at thorsten-wissmann.de> wrote:
> thanks for porting hlwm to OpenBSD and for spotting this issue! :-)
> I've fixed this in the hlwm code base:
>
> https://github.com/herbstluftwm/herbstluftwm/pull/840
>
> I'm also mentioning your names and e-mail addresses, I hope this is OK
> for you (I can still change it).

Thanks for the quick fix! I'm fine with my name and email address as
it's written. FWIW, the PR looks fine. I won't be able to test it until
later today, sadly, but I'll report back once I do.

> For us, the regex "" represents an inactive regex, so there is actually
> no need for us to compile it. Unfortunately, it is not a correct fix to
> replace it by "^$" (Setting 'keymask' to "^$" disables all keybindings
> because the setting means that the only those keybindings are active
> that match "^$")

Thanks for clarifying this.

> I've backported the crucial parts of the fix to v0.8.0 and I'm attaching
> a patch.

Thank you very much. The patch will be included in the package for the
update.

...unless! I don't know if this bug affects other OSes that rely on
Clang. But given this bug and the missing <iostream> include, maybe it's
worth to make a new 0.8.1 with both this fixes. The missing include will
force every packager to patch the 0.8.0 tarball, so just for that I
think it's worth. Do you have any plans to tag a fix release? Otherwise
we'll just add the patches to the package.

Thanks again for the effort, and for hlwm itself!