herbstluftwm is back -- winter is over

Thorsten Wißmann edu at thorsten-wissmann.de
Thu Mar 19 21:26:44 CET 2020

Dear all,

it's time for the winter to end. I have just merged the winterbreeze
branch into the master branch on github[1]. There are no major features
but many little details which are listed in the NEWS[2] file.

The main change is that we have reworked nearly the entire source code
such that it is now much more stable: it's type safe (by using the C++
type system) and well tested with a (still growing) test case suite.

Many people are already using it on a daily bases and I think it's now
ready for all those who have been using the git version so far. (be
prepared for lots of new commits when typing git pull!)

I have to thank Daniel Danner and Johannes Jordan a lot! They put
a lot of work into winterbreeze (with hundreds of commits each). :)

And finally, thank you all for waiting so long .. (it has been 5 years
since the winterbreeze fork.). I hope herbstluftwm is now ready for new
features!

All the best,

Thorsten

[1] https://github.com/herbstluftwm/herbstluftwm