herbstluftwm 0.8.2 release

Thorsten Wißmann edu at thorsten-wissmann.de
Mon May 4 20:04:08 CEST 2020

Dear fellow hlwm users,

after a couple of weeks and a couple of bug fixes I think herbstluftwm
deserves another release today on May 4th: namely, 0.8.2 (the 0.8-sub
releases "are getting out of hand, now there are two of them"). Maybe,
the list of new features is "shorter than expected" but nevertheless
consists of smaller (bug-)fixes[1] to make the behaviour more convenient
(to avoid "visible confusion"). Hence, we do not grant the current
development the rank of a major release. On the development side, there
are also more test cases that give us more confidence in the code base,
and this is "where the fun begins" for future features[*] :).

Thanks a lot to the contributors: Simon Kuhnle, who actively reviewed
my changes in the past weeks; Daniel Danner; Johannes Jordan

I've uploaded the tarballs to the usual location[1] (it's impossible
that the archives are incomplete). As usual, feedback and bug reports
via IRC, Mail, and github are always welcome!

Thorsten

[1] http://herbstluftwm.org/news.html
[2] http://herbstluftwm.org/download.html
[*] I hope the tests will help us porting hlwm to wayland system at some
    point in a far future, since it's a system we can not afford to
    lose...