Can't get adblock to work proper

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri Dec 19 08:08:17 CET 2014

* shaggytwodope at teknik.io <shaggytwodope at teknik.io> [2014-12-18 17:25:54 -0800]:
> On 2014-12-18 15:55, dings at umshini-wami.org wrote:
> >It seems to be a problem for me to get adblocking to work proper.
> >I added a few more urls to the list in the
> >~/.config/qutebrowser/qutebrowser.conf but I can't get rid of some ads.
> >I tried to add some sites to a file called hosts in my
> >~/.config/qutebrowser but that also didn't work. How do you guys block
> >ads? My host-block-lists array in the qutebrowser.conf looks like this:
> >

> >host-block-lists =
> >http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt,http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts,http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip,http://malwaredomains.lehigh.edu/files/justdomains.zip,http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&mimetype=plaintext,http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.asp,https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy-social.txt,https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt,https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy.txt,https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylistgermany.txt,http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlist.php?showintro=0;hostformat=hosts,/home/dings/.config/qutebrowser/hosts
> >
> >cheers
>
> What format is your hosts file in, it needs to be as such:
>
> 127.0.0.1  funkydomain.com

Either that, or just a list of domains without any IP - both should
work (optionally zipped).

Adblock lists *won't* work (yet) as they're more complicated than
that. Issue 29 has some more information:

https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/29

You'll need to use file:///home/dings/.config/qutebrowser/hosts for a
local file to work.

I just opened https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/378
to change that though :)

Also, don't forget to run :adblock-update after setting the option.

Out of curiosity: What are the pages you see ads on?

Florian