qutebrowser updates and roadmap

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Thu Aug 27 21:06:00 CEST 2015

Heya!

As you might have noticed, I stopped doing the weekly update mails
recently since they were quite a bit of work I'd rather invest in
writing code ;)

But I think it's time for another update mail - I'm still mainly
working on tests (and will probably continue to do so for a few more
weeks to months), but thanks to some awesome contributors there are
some great new features!

The GitHub statistics for the last month are mindblowing:

    Excluding merges, 9 authors have pushed 374 commits to master and
    401 commits to all branches. On master, 193 files have changed and
    there have been 17,591 additions and 11,777 deletions.

    18 Pull requests merged by 7 people
    4 Pull requests proposed by 3 people
    30 Issues closed by 2 people
    25 Issues created by 8 people

Some highlights of new features - sorry if I missed something:

- Antoni Boucher contributed the possibility to create bookmarks -
  they are similar to quickmarks, but don't have a label and store the
  page's title.

- Antoni Boucher also contributed local directory browsing.

- The column widths in the completion are now dependent on the active
  completion, thanks to Alexander Cogneau.

- Martin Tournoij added a new network -> referer-header setting which
  allows you to control when the Referer header should be sent.

- New settings to add padding to the tabbar and statusbar - thanks to
  Martin Tournoij and Icabob4 for their help with this!

- Downloads now remember the last used directory - thanks to Martin
  Tournoij for the initial PR!

- New setting to show the tabbar only when switching tabs, thanks to
  Artur Shaik.

- New setting to not ask for the download location, thanks to
  Alexander Cogneau. This also enabled rapid hinting for downloads.

- Many small bugfixes - thanks to Thorsten Wißmann, kingdread,
  Alexander Cogneau and Leon Schwalb for related contributions.

- Many many many new tests - thanks to Alexander Cogneau for some
  recent help with them!

As for my future plans/roadmap, since I get asked a lot:

- More tests. There's still plenty of easy unittests to be done, and
  on top of that I want enough end-to-end tests where qutebrowser is
  running with a local HTTP server and recieving commands.

- Doing some remaining bugfixes and releasing v0.4.0 somewhen in the
  near future.

- Some refactorings which are necessary for the next point.

- A QtWebEngine backend, which will make the rendering/networking part
  of qutebrowser essentially equal with Chromium, which comes with
  performance, security and stability benefits:

  https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/666

- Ripping out all the config code and replacing it by something with
  some more thought (and tests) behind it:

  https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A%22config+revolution%22
  https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/499

- Releasing v1.0.0

- Plugin API, and refactoring a large part of qutebrowser to be
  plugin-based.

Of course I'll also take care of pull requests along the way :)

Thanks again to all contributors - around 40 of them by now.
When I started with qutebrowser, I'd never have imagined this.

Florian