This week's qutebrowser updates

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Jan 6 07:18:09 CET 2015

Heya!

Last week I didn't think about sending an update mail because I was at
the annual CCC congress in Hamburg and busy with releasing v0.1.1:

https://lists.schokokeks.org/pipermail/qutebrowser/2014-December/000029.html

If you're still on v0.1 (or older...) you should update! You can check
your current version using   :open qute:version.

A lot has happened in the past two weeks though! Also, it's
mind-blowing how many people have contributed lately - you're all
awesome! I hope I didn't forget anyone in the logs below.

Overview
--------

(for the past week, because Github doesn't let me view this for two
weeks...)

Excluding merges, 7 authors have pushed 28 commits to master and 31
commits to all branches. On master, 147 files have changed and there
have been 450 additions and 311 deletions.

6 Pull requests merged by 6 people
1 Pull request proposed by 1 person
16 Issues closed by 2 people
6 Issues created by 1 person

https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/pulse/weekly

Features
--------

- User is now asked whether to overwrite an existing file with
  downloads.
  Thanks to Joel Torstensson for this contribution!

- Add an -f option to :reload to reload without cache.
  Thanks to HalosGhost for this contribution!

- Pass more information (QUTE_MODE, QUTE_SELECTED_TEXT,
  QUTE_SELECTED_HTML, QUTE_USER_AGENT) to userscripts.

Improvements
------------

- Rewrite of the way nested keyboard modes (e.g. clicking an input
  field while a prompt is active) are handled because the previous
  behaviour was too complicated and buggy. Now there's only one active
  mode, and insert mode on click is disabled as long as we're not in
  normal mode.

- Give keyboard focus back to web view after leaving prompt mode.

- Set the window icon to the qutebrowser logo.

- Disable alias completion for now (not too important and needs more
  work to work properly)

- Add a fullscreen keybinding.
  Thanks to Joel Torstensson for this contribution!

- Remove hosts-file.net from default block lists (too many
  false-positives).

- Add a :search command in addition to "/foo" so it's more visible and
  can be used from scripts.
  Thanks to Johannes Altmanninger for this contribution!

- Various documentation improvements.
  Thanks to Regina Hug, Helen Sherwood-Taylor Martin Zimmermann and
  John ShaggyTwoDope Jenkins for their contributions!

- Small crash dialog/log improvements (grey out report button, move
  debug log to bottom)

- Expand ~ to the users home directory with :run-userscript.

- Improve the userscript runner on Linux/OS X by using
  QSocketNotifier.

- Don't add debug log to crash reports by default in private browsing
  mode.

- Add luakit-like gt/gT keybindings to cycle through tabs.
  Thanks to Thiago Barroso Perrotta for this contributon!

Bugfixes
--------

- Display IPC error as warning instead as exception.

- Fix AttributeError on config changes with old Qt versions (e.g. on
  Ubuntu Trusty)

- Fix exception when showing a filename question for an already
  cancelled download.

- Make qutebrowser work even if started with an invalid working
  directory.

- Handle :restart correctly with Python eggs.

- Fix an exception in the completion with certain input.

- Fix setting of QWebSettings with an empty string.

- Fix crash with invalid ShellCommand setting values (e.g.
  general->editor).

- Fix segfault when refreshing/navigating away from pages while a
  prompt (SSL errors, javascript prompt, etc.) is open.

- Fix an invalid value in the default config (ooops!).
  Thanks to Matthias Lisin for this contribution!

- Fix exception when downloading files with chars not encodable in the
  system's filesystem encoding (e.g. UTF-8 with LANG=C).

- Fix hints->uppercase option.
  Thanks to Error 800 for this contribution!