[qutebrowser] qutebrowser v0.8.1 released! (with important privacy fix)

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Aug 2 23:02:52 CEST 2016

Hi,

I'm happy to annouce the release of qutebrowser v0.8.2!

This release comes with various bugfixes, including a fix for a
privacy issue:

Since v0.2.0, qutebrowser didn't set QtWebKit's private browsing flag
correctly if it was changed in a running instance (:set general
private-browsing true). While everything handled by qutebrowser
directly (history, cookies, cache) is not affected, some things
handled by QtWebKit are affected:

- HTML5 local storage
- Passing private browsing mode to NPAPI plugins (like Flash)
- Possibly other locations where QtWebKit checks private browsing
  which I didn't find due to WebKit's complexity.

qutebrowser instances launched after private-browsing was set in the
config are not affected.

I recommend you update ASAP, and review your local-storage and
offline-storage folders for unwanted entries. Their location:

- Linux: ~/.local/share/qutebrowser/
- Windows: %APPDATA%\Local\qutebrowser\data
- OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/qutebrowser

If you're for some reason unable to update, this patch will fix the
issue:
https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/commit/43ff1b0d97d989aca1002db7667f7a1b84a686d9

As a workaround, you can also do :restart after setting
private-browsing.

Feel free to contact me privately for any questions, and sorry for one
of those "this really shouldn't have happened" bugs :-/

Other than that issue, this release also fixes various bugs introduced
in v0.8.0, as well as some older issues:

- Fixed crash when using hints with JS disabled in some rare
  circumstances.
- When hinting input fields (`:t`), also consider input elements
  without a type.
- Fixed crash when opening an invalid URL with a percent-encoded and a
  real @ in it
- Fixed default `;o` and `;O` bindings
- Fixed local storage not working (and possible other bugs) when using
  a relative path with `--basedir`.
- Fixed crash when deleting a quickmark with Ctrl-D
- Fixed HTML5 video playback on Windows
- Fixed crash when using `:prompt-open-download` with a file with
  chars not encodable with the OS' filesystem encoding
  (e.g. with `LC_ALL=C`)
- Fixed `:prompt-open-download` with a too long filename (> 255 bytes)
- Fixed crash when cancelling a download after doing
  `:prompt-open-download`
- Fixed crash when writing a download to disk fails with
  `:prompt-open-download`.

Florian