[qutebrowser] How to run a userscript in Windows

Daniel Schadt daniel at kingdread.de
Wed Aug 31 22:36:47 CEST 2016

> command called: spawn ['--userscript', 'SCRIPT.py']

You're trying to call a Python userscript, which is basically just a
text file interpreted with python.exe. So you're trying to call a "text
file" as an application, which won't work on Windows - not even when
you set .py files to open with Python. It's basically the same as
trying to run a .txt as userscript, it's just not a valid Win32
application. So as far as I can tell, the only things you can run on
Windows as (user)script are native .exe and .bat/.cmd files.

So to solve this, you can either use
    "\path\to\python.exe \path\to\script.py"
as command for spawn (without the --userscript flag), or you can write
a simple .bat file that just calls your real userscript under the hood.

Also note that you're using the frozen version of qutebrowser, so to
run Python scripts outside of the qutebrowser executable, you probably
need a second (normal) Python installation.

I hope this helps, as I'm usually not a Windows user myself (and I might
be wrong... ;))

Daniel