[qutebrowser] Youtube HTML5 video playback

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Thu Jun 9 17:55:05 CEST 2016

Hey Tony,

* Tony Power <tony at witnessthepower.net> [2016-06-09 13:49:25 -0000]:
> Nice browser! Having some issue with HTML5 video playback on Youtube
> though, wondering if I'm missing something simple.
>
> Video screen is black, video duration displays Nan:Nan:Nan
>
> Qutebrowser version - 0.6.2
>
> OS - Debian Jessie

I've heard about others with Debian Jessie having issues as well, I'm
not sure if youtube works for anyone there unfortunately...

> Gstreamer plugins installed :
>
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad:amd64       0.10.23-7.4
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-base:amd64      0.10.36-2
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:amd64      0.10.31-3+nmu4+b1

Maybe try installing gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly too?

> Any idea what the problem could be, or ideas on what I could try to debug
> the problem?

If that doesn't help, maybe installing a newer Qt (and thus QtWebKit)
from Debian testing could help. Jessie comes with 5.3.2 from
September 2014, quite a bit happened since then ;)

Though of course that might break other Qt applications :-/

Another option is using an external player (like mpv) for youtube
videos:
https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/blob/master/FAQ.asciidoc
(point 9)

Thanks for the nice report with everything important mentioned though!
:)

Florian