RFC - Doing a crowdfunding for QtWebEngine in qutebrowser?

Chris Salzberg chris at dejimata.com
Mon Mar 7 15:36:08 CET 2016

Hi Florian,

Just one user here, but I'd be more than happy to put forward serious
money to get the QtWebEngine work done, say USD$100+ if it helps. And I
doubt that I'm the only one.

The reason is simple: there are a lot of people out there who want a
powerful, minimal vim-like browser, but you just can't buy them, no
matter how much money you have! You have to just hope that somebody else
builds it, or build it yourself.

For those of us who don't have time or skills to build a browser like
qutebrowser (i.e. pretty much everybody), putting forward a bit of money
to support your (very modest) request seems like a real bargain. (Not to
mention how minuscule this amount of money is compared to what goes into
building a mainstream browser!)

Even if (as you think) the community of qutebrowser users is small, for
the reasons above, a crowdfunding call might work well and bring you
more results than you'd think. It gives everybody a chance to support a
really important step (QtWebEngine integration) which everybody agrees
needs to happen, but which everybody also agrees will not be easy.

I consider having a good browser up there in importance with having a
good code editor. But whereas editors get lots of attention from
developers, it seems like everybody is just happy to use Chrome or
Firefox with whatever hacky plugin on top to do what they need...  which
I think is crazy! I want something better than that. Qutebrowser is
*very* close to the perfect browser for me.

So count me in! And be ambitious with the crowdfunding drive. I think
there's more support out there than you think.

Chris

p.s. As an example of a similar crowdfunding drive that raised quite a
large amount of money, see git-annex assistant:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joeyh/git-annex-assistant-like-dropbox-but-with-your-own