[qutebrowser] Memory leak

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Dec 19 10:19:09 CET 2017

Hi,

your message was held back for moderation as you're not subscribed to the
mailinglist. I accidentally discarded it (sorry!), but forwarded it to the list
now.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 10:50:32AM +0200, Volodymyr Brazhnyk wrote:
> We wanted to fork your project

What do you mean with that exactly? If you want to use qutebrowser in another
software project, please note that you're bound by the terms of the GNU GPL.

Also, you might be happier by just using QtWebEngine directly instead of
qutebrowser, depending on what you're doing exactly. Note that, again, you'll
be bound by the GNU GPL unless you get a commercial Qt and PyQt license.

> and founded a critical memory leak bug. Maybe you can give us some advise?

https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/1476 has some discussion
about this. Most memory leaks are caused by the backend (QtWebEngine/QtWebKit)
though.

> We have tested it with 3 GB RAM droplet with Ubuntu 17.04 and run
> periodically script which open several pages and than close the main window.
> After several hours there was no free memory anymore.

You'll need to be more specific. If you close the main window and have no other
windows open, qutebrowser will quit, and thus use no memory at all.

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org  | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)
   GPG: 916E B0C8 FD55 A072  | https://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc