[qutebrowser] Some feelings about v1.0

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Oct 18 06:32:29 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 08:39:38PM +0000, José Alberto Orejuela García wrote:
> > That being said, I had no idea how many people use arrow keys to navigate
> > through the completion, and I changed it because a lot of people expected
> > up/down to go through the history.
>
> Yes, I also liked it, the point is that I didn't know it was that. Maybe you
> put it in the changelog and I missed that part (I usually read them), sorry.
> =P

I did indeed forget to put it in the original changelog and then added it a bit
later, so that might be me to blame ;-)

FWIW, there is a more detailed explanation here:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/help/configuring.asciidoc#migrating-older-configurations

> > Can't please everyone I guess, but I'm tired of the bikeshedding[1] :P
> >
> > [1] https://shed.bike/
>
> I was only asking for understanding, not trying to demand anything. I'm sorry
> about making you feel like that.

Sorry, that was poorly worded on my part, I wasn't blaming you. That was more
of a general statement.

> > Also, it introduces special completion matching only applicable to :open, which
> > is another thing I'd like to avoid.
>
> You could implement it everywhere, do you thing it will lead to problems with
> other commands?

Yes - if you filter for ! in e.g. the setting value completion or whatever, you
wouldn't expect qutebrowser to filter for %21.

> > > - Completion until next difference: when I write ":set col" and hit tab, it'd
> > > be nice if it completed to color before completing directly to
> > > colors.completion.category.bg. This is certainly the feature that I see
> > > hardest to being useful given a proper implementation, because normally there
> > > could be a lot of partial different coincidences, for example typing
> > > "duckduck" maybe it should be changed to duckduckgo based on urls or
> > > DuckDuckGo based on page titles. It's also the thing I miss the least of
> > > these three.
> >
> > I can see how that'd be useful for settings, but again, this would introduce
> > special handling for one particular completion.
>
> Yes, I have just realised why I was thinking about that. The point is that
> settings were split in sections before, so I could hit tab step by step to
> complete, and that was (I think) what I was missing subconsciously.
>
> Also, that led to a qute://settings page split in sections, tidier than the
> new one (it's a minor thing, of course). Is that intentional?

Kind of - sections just don't exist anymore, because they made both the code
and using :set (as you needed to know what section something was in) more
complicated.

That does indeed mean qute://settings is a bit less organized now, but I'm not
sure what to do about that.

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org  | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)