[qutebrowser] Some feelings about v1.0

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Oct 25 20:05:15 CEST 2017

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 04:02:27PM +0000, José Alberto Orejuela García wrote:
> > Yes - if you filter for ! in e.g. the setting value completion or whatever, you
> > wouldn't expect qutebrowser to filter for %21.
>
> But the point is that it doesn't matter as there won't be strings like that
> in settings, don't you think?

It's not just "!", it's a lot of other special chars as well. They can very
much occur in e.g. setting values, and probably other places as well. Treating
them specially everywhere just because they happen to be special in URLs is not
acceptable.

> By the way, I also find the browser more slow when scrolling, is that due to
> qtwebengine as well?

Might be - the latest master branch also has some improvements for scrolling
performance.

> I also have 2 issues more:
>
> - Sometimes, when I use hints to go to a form box to fill it, it doesn't
> enter insert mode (and if I enter insert mode manually with "i", nothing is
> written as I type). I will find a concrete example in a page (I forgot to
> write it down when it happened) and send it, so you can skip this by now
> until I find a place to reproduce it.

The code finding out about editable elements is just a heuristic - related issues:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/253
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/2471

> - Randomly, qutebrowser seems to get stuck but it's not, it's only the
> graphical part. For example, if I open a new tab (it should focus on it as
> that's the usual case), I keep seeing the same in the window (except that I
> can see that page title is different, as if I were on the new tab); I can
> even click on other tabs and see that page title changes, but not the content
> or tabs bar, those are frozen, even though I can click on them and I can see
> that they're interacting. If I minimise the window and then restore it,
> everything is fixed; BUT sometimes, before I can minimise it, it gets all
> graphics in the computer stucked and I see a notification like "desktop
> effects were restored due to a graphic problem" (I'm using plasma on Arch). I
> guess this will be hard to debug, so if I can help in any way, I'm willing to
> do it.

Sounds like a bug with your graphic driver, or possibly QtWebEngine.

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org  | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)
   GPG: 916E B0C8 FD55 A072  | https://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc