[qutebrowser] Log in to Google Account using qutebrowser

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Dec 3 16:40:03 CET 2019

Hey Denis,

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 12:58:23PM +0100, Denis Khizhniak wrote:
> I would like to switch to qutebrowser from Chromium but I can't log in to
> my Google account.
> Every time I try I receive this message:
>
> Couldn't sign you in
> You are trying to sign in from a browser or app that doesn't allow us to
> keep your account secure.
> Try using a different browser. Learn more
> <https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7675428?hl=en>
>
> Could you please assist with this?
> I have already tried to change *headers.user_agent* with no luck. Do you
> have any workarounds?

This is a change by Google, targetting applications which aren't browsers but
ask the user to sign in to their Google Account:
https://security.googleblog.com/2019/04/better-protection-against-man-in-middle.html

I've heard about it before:
https://www.reddit.com/r/qutebrowser/comments/cyb1wi/cant_sign_into_google/
but it seems to come and go, and I've never seen it with my own account so far.

Not much qutebrowser can do I guess - you might want to contact Google in some
way, but... good luck with that.

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org