[qutebrowser] bug:youtube

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Apr 29 09:41:20 CEST 2020

Hey,

(Note to people on the ML: The later mails I'm quoting were sent to me
directly, not to the ML)

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 10:32:44AM +0700, Ahiung Lim wrote:
> Backend: QtWebEngine (Chromium 56.0.2924.122)
> Qt: 5.9.5

Qt 5.9 is quite old, and it looks like the underlying Chromium (from
January 2017) is too old for YouTube to work correctly.

There are various ways to get a newer Qt:

- Use a virtualenv install with a Qt binary:
  https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/install.asciidoc#tox
  Probably the easiest way if you don't care about proprietary video codecs.

- Wait for the next Zorin OS release based on Ubuntu 20.04. I had a quick look
  at their blog:

  * Ubuntu 16.04 was released in April 2016
    Zorin OS 12 based on it: September 2016

  * Ubuntu 18.04 was released in April 2018
    Zorin OS 15 based on it: June 2019 (!)

  So this probably will take some time...

- Build Qt/QtWebEngine yourself. This is quite a pain and you're mostly on your
  own.

FWIW I intend to drop support for Qt < 5.11 with qutebrowser v2.0.0:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/3839

> and this is my configdiff looks like:
> content.headers.user_agent = Linux x86_64
> [...]
>
> I suspect the useragent thing

Yeah. That's not really a valid user agent string, and will probably break
various websites. Don't do that :)

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:50:38AM +0700, Ahiung Lim wrote:
> one more thing, I just tried to input the user agent to be exact as the
> --temp-basedir one

FWIW you can probably do :config-unset content.headers.user_agent

> now the youtube can load comments, but the problem still persists with the
> notification and profile, when clicked it just show rectangle with spinning
> before.

That one is definitely caused by the old Qt, it works with Qt 5.12 but I can
reproduce the issue with older Qt versions.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:51:55AM +0700, Ahiung Lim wrote:
> the user agent input is "Mozilla/5.0 ({os_info})
> AppleWebKit/{webkit_version} (KHTML, like Gecko) {qt_key}/{qt_version}
> {upstream_browser_key}/{upstream_browser_version} Safari/{webkit_version}"
> which is basedir default. normally it displayed blank.

A blank user agent was the default before qutebrowser v1.9.0. There, the
template string format was introduced instead.

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/