[qutebrowser] Given the process ID, can I find out the loaded URL?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Dec 30 21:40:32 CET 2020

Hey Tobias,

Your mail was held back because you're not subscribed to the
mailinglist. I've now approved it and added you to the allowed senders,
but you might not get replies if people don't add you to Cc.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 05:23:33PM +0100, Tobias Dussa wrote:
> I have come across this question: If I know the process ID of a QB thread,
> is it possible to figure out (from the command line) what URL is currently
> loaded in the corresponding tab?
>
> Haven't been able to find an answer to this question.  I suspect it should
> be possible if I dig in the right place in /proc/${PID}, but.

Quoting from an earlier reply to (almost) the same question:
https://lists.schokokeks.org/pipermail/qutebrowser/2020-October/000815.html

I added the API to do those kind of things upstream in Qt 5.15:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtwebengine/+/286981

However, I didn't get around to actually implementing something to e.g.
show the PID inside qutebrowser - currently tracked here:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/4984

Right now, the easiest thing you can do is to send a SIGSTP to the
process and see which tab is frozen; or send a SIGTERM and see which tab
crashes.

Also, @toofar wrote a slightly crazy script to find the offending tab
automatically:
https://gist.github.com/toofar/33cd9baf420f327472f7eb7d7b2e3f6a