[qutebrowser] Structure/"syntax" of .config/qutebrowser/blocked-hosts

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Feb 10 17:55:09 CET 2020

Hey Julian,

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 03:32:56PM +0100, Julian Schreck wrote:
> I'd like to block several sites with all their subsites, which I list in my blocked-hosts file, but I don't get rid of
> the feeling that I have several lines (per host) in the file which I obviously wouldn't need. Therefore I'd like to know
> how to specify a host so that it and its subsites are blocked all.

Currently, the blocked-hosts files only accept a list of hosts (or an
/etc/hosts-like format). In other words, no URLs or wildcards are supported.

Here's an issue about it: https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/4188

> As an example:
> fbcdn.net [this would be one host]
> *fbcdn.net
> http://fbcdn.net
> https://fbcdn.net
> www.fbcdn.net
> http://www.fbcdn.net
> https://www.fbcdn.net
> fna.fbcdn.net [this would be a subsite]
> *fna.fbcdn.net
> [...]

Most of those entries don't make any sense. The list contains hostnames, not
URLs. fbcdn.net, www.fbcdn.net and fna.fbcdn.net are the only lines there which
actually block something, all other lines are not hostnames and thus will never
have any effect.

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org