[qutebrowser] Log in to Google Account using qutebrowser

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Jan 7 19:17:03 CET 2020

Hey,

On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 01:28:26PM +0100, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 12:39:44PM +0100, Denis Khizhniak wrote:
> > So, I have no idea how Google checks the actual browser and whether it's
> > possible to fool him.
>
> Neither do I. Chances are that as soon as someone finds a solution, Google will
> just adjust whatever checking they do to break it again.

FWIW, there is a workaround for this which seems to work so far. The upcoming
qutebrowser v1.9.0 release will contain it, but in the meantime you can do the
same via :set as well. See this writeup for details:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/5182

> There are some people who claim to have a solution, but don't want to talk
> about it publicly - precisely because it'll just end up in Google blocking that
> as well.

I was wrong there. I contacted them to see what'd happen.

One of them told me to "try out" his solution and sent me to a phishing page,
trying to get me to log in with my Google Account there.

The other asked me for $2000 for his solution.

Unsurprisingly, I declined both offers. So much about Google making things more
secure.

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org