[qutebrowser] determining current URL from qtwebengineprocess PID?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri Oct 30 13:28:06 CET 2020

Hey Greg,

Sorry for the late answer, this got lost in my inbox for a while.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 05:35:52AM +0300, Greg Minshall wrote:
> hi.  is it possible, given a process ID of a QtWebEngineProcess, to
> determine which actual window/tab it is mapped to, or, more immediately
> useful, what URL it is currently displaying?  (i am running on arch
> linux.)  cheers, Greg

I added the API to do those kind of things upstream in Qt 5.15:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtwebengine/+/286981

However, I didn't get around to actually implementing something to e.g.
show the PID inside qutebrowser - currently tracked here:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/4984

Right now, the easiest thing you can do is to send a SIGSTP to the
process and see which tab is frozen; or send a SIGTERM and see which tab
crashes.

Also, @toofar wrote a slightly crazy script to find the offending tab
automatically:
https://gist.github.com/toofar/33cd9baf420f327472f7eb7d7b2e3f6a