[qutebrowser] Pull request backlog - one year later

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Apr 13 14:10:55 CEST 2021

Hey,

Exactly one year ago today, I opened a GitHub Project board to help me
keep track of the pull request backlog:

https://blog.qutebrowser.org/paving-the-road-towards-qutebrowser-v20.html
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/projects/4

Like mentioned in that post, this really helped me keeping track of
everything without feeling kind of overwhelmed by all the PRs. Now,
exactly one year later, 267 PRs have been taken care of. That's more
than one per working day (I usually don't work on qb on weekends), but
of course also include some trivial ones like automated weekly
dependency updates. :)

There's still a backlog of around 50-60 PRs usually (59 at the time of
writing, though with various of them being close to merging). New PRs
from responsive contributors are usually reviewed and merged quickly
nowadays.

For drive-by contributions where contributors disappear as soon as I
spent time reviewing things, or for contributors who expect me to finish
their started work, things will take a bit longer. Still, I believe it's
best for the project to actually finish the started work rather than
just throwing it away.

Similarly, some old PRs are still stalled (usually because they're
waiting for a review). I will get to them as soon as I can, but I
usually prioritize newer PRs because those take much less effort to get
in.

All in all, I'm happy with the progress, but there's still a lot to do.
Thanks again to everyone for your patience! There's only one me, and
there's still a lot of "invisible" work I'm taking care of (i.e. making
sure things don't explode with new Python/Qt/... versions, fixing bugs,
and from time to time also working on new features).

As usual, I'd really appreciate if more people would take care of
reviewing/testing PRs, or picking up older PRs if they've been abandoned
by their authors and finishing them. That's e.g. how the external file
selection changes got merged after @AcksID picked things up.

If you're not a programmer, even only merging and testing a PR for a bit
(if it's mergeable) or looking at whether the changes feel right from an
user's perspective can make a big difference!

Finally, if there's something you'd like to contribute, it really helps
if you reach out (e.g. via IRC or at least an issue) before starting
work, so that it's possible to coordinate things a bit rather than
(especially bigger) changes just popping up out of the blue.

Onwards!

Florian

--
            me at the-compiler.org | https://www.qutebrowser.org