[qutebrowser] qutebrowser fails to start on Ubuntu 22.04

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Jan 22 10:44:46 CET 2024

Hey,

It looks like you're not a member of the mailinglist, thus your mail was
held back. I added a filter so your mails always get accepted
automatically, but you might still want to sign up, so you get people's
answers even if they don't Cc you.

> $ qutebrowser
> 10:18:41 WARNING: could not connect to display

That sounds like either your DISPLAY is not set, or you're running
Wayland without XWayland.

What do you get with "echo $DISPLAY"?

If it's the former, find out why that is, because it definitely should
be (you won't be able to start any GUI apps from the terminal).

> Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl,
> offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Notably, there is no Qt wayland plugin installed. Do you have
"qtwayland5" installed?

If yes, "export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1" might tell you more about why it's
not being loaded.

> Extension modules: PyQt5.QtCore, [...]

Also note Qt 5 (and qutebrowser 2.5.0 you'd get from the Ubuntu repos)
are both rather outdated. If you don't need proprietary codecs, you
might be better off installing something newer in a virtualenv:

https://qutebrowser.org/doc/install.html#tox

Florian