[qutebrowser] Some feelings about v1.0

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Oct 25 18:53:03 CEST 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 07:57:44AM -0400, Ryan Roden-Corrent wrote:
> > Taking into account substitutions in urls. For example, if I want to
> > find an url that contained a bang, I cannot find it using ":open !"
> > because that won't give any result as ! was changed to %21 in the url.
>
> This depends on how you got to the url. If I navigate to example.com/foo!bar,
> that exact string will show up in my completions, and will show up with
> ":open !". If I navigate explicitly to example.com/foo%21bar, then we will not
> automatically decode it. I think maybe we could with QURL.FullyDecoded? If so,
> do we want to? Florian?

The problem is that QUrl::FullyDecoded is lossy, so we'd need to display the
FullyDecoded variant, but store e.g. FullyEncoded in the database.

That means we'd need to introduce some way to have HistoryCategory modify the
data before it's being shown, which I bet would slow down things again.

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org  | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)
   GPG: 916E B0C8 FD55 A072  | https://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc