[qutebrowser] Adblock not working properly with local files

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue May 19 18:32:31 CEST 2020

Hey,

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 04:18:12PM +0000, Paulo Silva de Alíbano wrote:
> I've never been in a mailing list before. I apologize in advance if I make
> any more blunder.

No problem, no harm done! Wouldn't call it a blunder, just something you need
to be aware of when using mailinglists :)

> A more sensitive example is <lh3.googleusercontent.com>, that does not get
> blocked, although <googleusercontent.com> figures in the list. Is there

I assume you mean this?
https://github.com/disconnectme/disconnect-tracking-protection/blob/05fa7f5fa78c88c74d9e62c8cabffc7b6b133cb7/entities.json#L5681

Note that's not a line saying "googleusercontent.com should be blocked", it's
just a line saying "googleusercontent.com belongs to Google", just like e.g.
google.com, youtube.com, and many other domains being listed there.

In other words, you're trying to treat something which isn't a block list like
a block list. This will probably not do what you want, unless your goal is to
block anything coming from Google, but then that will also include many
legitimate hosts and break a lot of stuff.

> Is there any way to make Qutebrowser parse the list and block a match even if
> "lower" subdomains differ?

Not at the moment - however, there's an issue about making user-supplied
blocked-hosts files accept URL patterns:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/4188

And there's also some work going on for a more sophisticated adblocker:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/pull/5317

Both would allow you to do so, as far as I know.

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/